The Cambridge Certificate: Young Learners (YLE), also called Young Learners English (YLE), offers three motivating, interactive English exams for children aged 7 to 12:
- Young Learners English (YLE) Starters,
- Young Learners English (YLE) Movers,
- Young Learners English (YLE) Flyers.
Level of the YLE
According to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- is Young Learners English (YLE) Starters slightly below level A1;
- corresponds to Young Learners English (YLE) Movers at level A1;
- corresponds to Young Learners English (YLE) Flyers at level A2.
Target groups of the YLE
The Young Learners exams represent the child’s first step into the world of English and are designed to ensure that children have fun learning and are encouraged to perform well. From an early age, children are encouraged to acquire their first English language skills step by step in a practical and application-oriented manner, so that they can later take further Cambridge Certificates.
The advantages of the YLE
Participation in the Young Learners courses is designed to give children practical and lifelike language skills so that they can use other media (e.g. song books, films, TV shows) in English in addition to the Internet,
- communicate with friends worldwide in English,
- prepare themselves in order to improve their chances at work or study
The children’s English skills are taught through topics or situations from everyday life. The Young Learners Certificates allow the children’s achievements to be recognized, their self-confidence to be strengthened and their ability to communicate to be rewarded.
As a reliable measure of children’s English language skills, the different language variants (e.g. American English, British English) are also included. The preparation course is designed to accommodate participants of different nationalities and language backgrounds.
The learning goals of YLE
Participants of the Cambridge Certificate Young Learners receive a good foundation for learning the English language and show the children what language skills they already have.
Participants of the Young Learners Movers preparation course are able to
- understand simple instructions or can talk about predictable topics
- easy to understand instructions, information or notes,
- write messages or fill out simple forms.
With Young Learners Flyers the children are able to
- to read and understand simple, English texts,
- to communicate in familiar situations using the English language,
- to understand short notes or verbal instructions,
- use and understand easily understandable phrases or expressions,
- to communicate in English with native speakers when they speak clearly and slowly
- write short messages.
Registration for the YLE
The registration is to be made directly at the examination center where the examination will be held. The examinations are held worldwide on fixed dates. There are also fixed starting dates for the respective preparation courses. The courses last between 9 and 12 weeks.
The YLE Exam
The comparisons, which are designed to be suitable for children, are also designed so that children who are not yet so familiar with tests can take part. The tests for children include
SpeakingIn preparation for the exam, a variety of aids and materials such as textbooks, worksheets, sample exams can be used.
In the Young Learners courses the children cannot fail and after each exam they receive a certificate with the number of coats of arms achieved. With at least 10 achieved crests, the children can prepare for the next higher level.
The YLE costs
The examination fees are set by the various examination centers and must be requested locally.
Online preparation courses for YLE
YLE Preparatory Reading
Videos about the YLE
Hinweis: Aktualisierung am 26.06.2020 über Amazon Product Advertising API. Daten und Preise können sich ggf. geändert haben. Über das Amazon.de Partnerprogramm verdienen wir Provisionen für qualifizierte Käufe.